Tuesday 10 July 2012

Robyn Williams


                I met a girl named Robyn Williams and some of her friends outside of the concerts that occurred in Hyde Park this weekend.  She lives here in London so we met up again at a pub, and I decided to interview and talk to her about her about her sports fandom.

Me: Are you a sports fan?
Robyn: Yes I do enjoy sports but I’m not a fanatic.
Me: What sport/sports do you like?
Robyn: I like a lot of sports. Nevertheless, the only sport that I properly support a team in is football or soccer as you call it, as it’s a native sport.
Me: Why do you like them?
Robyn: I like them because they require a lot skill. Also, when played at a professional level, it is fun to watch as there is a lot of competition.
Me: Do you or have you ever played sports?
Robyn: Yes. I used to compete in squash, football, basketball and netball competitions. I also used to do kayaking.
Me: Does playing that sport make you enjoy watching or following it now?
Robyn: Not necessarily, as some of the sport I enjoy playing is tedious to watch or follow on TV.
Me: Do you own clothing items or stuff that says the team or sport that you like on it?
Robyn: Yes - I have slippers which have 'bears' on the back (Chicago bears American football team). Although, I only bought them because they looked cute and comfortable.
Me: Do you go to the games or just watch them on TV?
Robyn: I just watch them on TV.
Me: Do you care if your team wins or loses?
Robyn: To be frank, no.

                Above is an abbreviated summary of our conversation in question and answer form.  Talking to Robyn was very interesting.  She was not a huge fan of many sports, but she did know a little bit about a variety of sports.  She follows soccer a little and will watch the main games because that is what everyone does.  I would compare her fandom of soccer to that of someone who just follows the Saint’s football team because they live in New Orleans and that is what everyone does.  She was like most of us as a child and played multiple sports.  She told me that she played net ball, and I didn’t understand what it was so I asked her to explain it to me.  Even after the explanation, I did not fully get the game, but it is a sport that she enjoyed as a kid so it is a part of her life. 

                Sports play a role in almost everyone’s life.  Whether it is a big part of your life or a small or not as significant part of your life, most people are fans of sports in some way.  Robyn’s fandom of sports was less significant in her life than avid sports fans in England.  She participated as a child, but most of her childhood sports didn’t transfer into serious fandom as an adult.  The main ways she keeps in touch with her fandom is through media.  Sports media helps to connect many people to their sport or sports of choice.  I believe that media has helped to create a bigger fan base for almost every sport.  It makes the sport easily accessible to people who do not have the means to actively attend or participate in sporting events.

No comments:

Post a Comment