Sunday 15 July 2012

differences


                The English culture or way of life is different from the typical American way.  We have been in London for about two weeks now and since day one, the differences in the way the English men live and the way we are accustomed to are very apparent.                 

                One of my first experiences when I noticed the difference in people was my first attempt at the tube.  I got to the airport alone and had to take the tube alone, not to mention I had a fifty pound suitcase to carry around.  In the southern states of America, people are very polite.  They open doors for you, they offer help if you look like you need it, and they at least try to make your life a little easier.  It is the complete opposite here.  If you are getting off the tube, do not expect someone who is trying to get on the tube to move over so you have room.  All the other people care about is getting on the tube, not letting you off first then getting on the tube.  It makes it seem like many of the English people are just worried about themselves and not the wellbeing of others. 

                The pace of life at different moments is also a major difference I have noted.  Another tube experience of mine, and probably almost every tourist, is the escalator.  I was not aware of the rule stating that you should stand on the right and walk on the left.  Apparently this guy was in a hurry because he was not happy that I was standing on the right.  Then I noticed that a lot of people were walking on the left.  They weren’t only walking on the left side of the escalator, but they were also walking very fast to their destination.  This is when I realized that Americans walk at a much slower pace than English people.  On the other hand, English people eat or dine at a slower pace than Americans.  I expect for my check to be brought to my table about five minutes after I have gotten my food because the waiter is trying to turn tables quickly.  Here I basically have to search for the waiter to try to get him to give me my check.

                None of these differences make either of us more right or wrong in the way we do things, but the differences in culture are very apparent to people from the very beginning of their visit to England. 

No comments:

Post a Comment