Tuesday 10 July 2012

MSU LSU


                Being an LSU fan seems to come natural to just about everyone in the state of Louisiana, but I have a little different past with LSU than most people.  Almost everybody I know is a hardcore LSU Tigers fan, and some people find it weird that I am not as hardcore or expressive about my fandom.

                I was raised in a house of Mississippi State University fans.  Not only did my mom and dad attend school at MSU, but most of my relatives went to school there, so their fandom for the school and its athletic teams is ridiculous.  We attended football, baseball, and basketball games all year round for MSU.  It didn’t matter if they won or lost, it was the atmosphere that we loved.  I have vivid memories of playing football while my parents and family tailgated.  It was in my blood to like Mississippi State, but that all changed when I decided to go to LSU.

                I had never been to an LSU football game before my freshman year.  All my friends were big fans of the Tigers, but I hadn’t hit that level yet.  Once I attended a few games, I realized why everyone loved it here.  It was the atmosphere of being around Tiger Stadium before a game.  It was being a part of the crowd and becoming friends with strangers simply because you are both wearing purple and gold.  I never thought I would enjoy LSU football and become a fan, but I realized one day that it wasn’t the actual sport or school that makes you a fan.  It is the atmosphere.

 The atmosphere is basically the same no matter what school you go to.  Everyone out there tailgating is enjoying themselves and rooting for their team.  Since I am not an avid football fan and do not follow every move of the players, I would say that I am a fan of the atmosphere that the football games bring to the city of Baton Rouge.  I didn’t love the MSU football team, but I did love the atmosphere and fun that came with attending the games.  The same goes for LSU.  I like to be a part of something that is fun, entertaining, and brings people together. 

                Although I feel this way, I know many people who do not feel the same.  My dad would probably be the number one person to deny everything I said.  He is an avid fan, who follows everything that MSU does that involves sports.  I can honestly say that he has not been to one game to visit me, even when MSU plays LSU.  This just shows that the degree of fandom varies between different people and people enjoy a variety of aspects about sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment